The Indian Hygiene Market Exhibits Huge Potential
The disposable and hygiene products sector in India has undergone massive transformation, with the advent of many new innovative products and a certain surge in awareness around hygiene. As per the estimates from market research company Euromonitor, the India tissue paper and hygiene product market which has been consistently growing will continue to grow significantly. The market size is projected to increase from Rs. 57.8 billion (USD 870 million) in 2017 to be pegged at Rs. 100 billion (USD 1.5 billion) in 2020. Euromonitor points out that the strong demand mainly comes from the increasing income of countryside consumers and their pursuing of more comfortable and convenient lives.
The continuous improvement of literacy rates, the enhancement of consumers’ safety and sanitary consciousness, and extended lifespan plus improvements in conditions in rural areas have all created opportunities for expansion of the hygiene products market.
- The diaper industry in India has exhibited an upward sloping growth rate especially over the last five years. According to a market assessment report by Euromonitor, the size of the organised baby diaper market in India was more than Rs 52.14 billion in 2017 and is expected to reach around Rs. 122 billion (USD 1.7 billion) in 2023, with the expected year-on-year rate of growth being 15 percent. The demand for diapers is growing consistently, which is a consequence of changing Indian demographics, the growth of the middle class, strengthening of public health consciousness, and enhancement of purchasing power.
- The tissue and wipes products market is one of the growing categories in hygiene and disposable products industry of the country. As per a report by Research and Markets, the tissue market has registered a growth of more than 8 percent and the wipes market has shown a growth of around 15 percent in the period of five years from 2010 to 2015. There has been a notable surge in this sector, which is presently growing annually at an average of 20 to 25 percent.
- Feminine sanitary products account for a significant proportion of the Indian disposable hygiene market. According to Euromonitor, the Indian feminine hygiene product market has reached Rs. 22.21 billion (USD 340 million) and is projected to have a net worth of Rs. 4,500 crores approx. (USD 631 million) by the year 2023. Sanitary napkins are the most popular product category in India with more than 80 percent of market share in the feminine hygiene market. Moreover, many factors, such as growing awareness about feminine hygiene and the availability of low-cost sanitary napkins on the market, should be factored in to estimate the growth of the market.
Facts on Tissue and Hygiene Paper products
- Revenue on the tissue and hygiene paper market amounts to Rs. 2,162 billion (USD 30,130 million) in 2019. The market is expected to grow annually at 4.0 percent (CAGR for 2019-2023).
- The market’s largest segment is the toilet paper segment with a market volume of USD 9,343 million in 2019.
- The average revenue per person on the tissue and hygiene paper market amounts to USD 22.01 (Rs. 1,500) in 2019. On the market for tissue and hygiene paper, the volume is expected to be around 10,966.7 kg by 2023.
- The average volume per person on the market for tissue and hygiene paper amounts to 6.9 kg in 2019.